Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The first time I ever saw your face....

Last year on THIS day (Sept 22, 2014) was the day I first saw Anna's picture. EXACTLY one year later (TODAY) we received Travel Approval!! We know this is not a coincidence. God is even in the little things. (though we think this is pretty HUGE) Here is the first time I saw a picture of her:


And here notice the date: 


She was posted on a China Waiting Child Facebook page. Now maybe you are thinking, WHAT? I thought they got matched with her in Dec? Well there is a story here, and at the time we just didn't share it. I will share it with you now.......

I am a member of the China Waiting Child Facebook Page. This is a page where people will advocate for children that are waiting (duh right?). Meaning that their file had been matched with a family and that family had decided not to accept it.  For whatever reason. So from there they go to the agency's webpage for waiting children, with the hopes that someone with their agency will inquire and accept the child. If the child's file is not accepted there after 3 months, another agency can take the file and try to find a family and can have the file for 3 months, etc, etc. So these advocates will go to these different agency pages and then post their picture and info on this Facebook page in the hopes that someone (even possibly from another agency, or someone who is not yet with an agency and will begin with the agency the child is with at that time) And sometimes these children are on a Shared List, which means that no agency has the file and any agency can pull it off the Shared List for you. 

So while we were waiting to be matched I had been checking this page often. And then Anna popped up.  What a smile! And her special need (if you can call it that) was on our Medical Conditions Checklist. I inquired about her, I asked if she was considered Special Focus (meaning either more than one need or older or hard to place) and she was. Because of my epilepsy we were only eligible for Special Focus. (I know, it makes no sense) The only problem was that she was with a different agency than the one we were working with. We were not willing to switch agencies because our agency had been so confident in helping us despite my epilepsy. So I contacted the agency that held her file and asked if they would be willing to transfer Anna's file to our agency. They would only communicate with our agency, fine. Our agency was more than willing to ask for us. We were told that there were families in line to view her file so we would have to wait and they were unwilling to transfer because of that. HOWEVER the first email I sent them showing my interest, they were more than willing to get me to sign up with them, even told me to send in an application and then I could proceed with seeing her file etc. Then when I had mentioned that we were already working with CCAI and would not change agencies they quickly changed their tune and told me that they would only communicate through our agency. yeah. A couple of weeks later, our agency contacted them again, yet again they claimed there was still interest in her so we would have to wait. Call back in a week or 2. One week later they called again, still not willing. Our agency was really great at keeping in contact with them. Then they stopped responding. Wouldn't return their calls or emails. Finally we were told that we could have the file to look at but that they would only transfer if we were serious. The next day our agency contacted them and told them we were prepared to write a Letter Of Intent for her. They had to leave a message and never heard back. Contacted them AGAIN and were told that maybe (big word MAYBE) would THINK about transferring if there was no interest by the 18th of Dec. So we patiently (not really, but you know) waited till the 18th thinking this would be the yes or no day. Our agency called them first thing in the morning, had to leave a message. Also sent them an email. No reply via phone or email. The 18th was a Thursday. Monday morning they heard they were still not willing to transfer. By now they had had Anna's file for 3 months. Our agency contacted the CCCWA in China and got them to pull the file from Lifeline (BAD agency) and transfer to our agency. Dec. 23rd we got the email from our agency stating that we officially had her file! The same day we gave our Letter of Intent and received Pre-approval on the 26th. It was a long 3 months to get her file. It was a roller coaster ride. 

So why wouldn't they transfer you ask? One simple reason, money. It's so sad. We wanted to give her a family but they held onto her file in the hopes that someone from their agency would scoop her up. Or someone new would apply. Or maybe they thought that the longer they held out the more likely we would switch. See then they would get the money. She could be home by now. A lot of agencies will transfer for the simple love of the orphan and wanting them to have a family. Others not so much. This agency has a very bad reputation among the adoption community. It's sad really. I'm just so thankful that our agency fought so hard on our behalf. We really love them and everything they have done for us, how they communicate to us, respond to emails in the same day, and how they guide us through each step. They really are great, and I would highly recommend CCAI if you are ever considering adopting from China. 

And here we are one year later. Making travel plans to go take this beautiful girl home!! God has been so good and gracious to us. He has given us the energy and strength to persevere and He has brought us to this point. We can trust that He will continue to be with us as we journey through the next phase of adjustment and scary unknowns. When we (meaning me) start to freak out about what we are doing and how hard it will be, I just see how God has brought us here and how He has been in everything, He has already carried us through so much. He is not going to desert us now. He wants us (as unworthy and incapable as we are) to give this orphan a home, a family, to know HIM. We are humbled and honored to accept His calling. To GOD be all the glory!! Do not give us praise for doing this, give it only to God. He is using us to do His will. I am in awe of His goodness. 

We have tickets on hold, just waiting for our Consulate Appointment confirmation to finalize travel dates. Let the packing and wild ride begin!!

Prayer requests:
Please THANK GOD for taking us this far and for travel approval and that we will have her in our arms for her 3rd birthday (oh, my heart...) 
Please continue to pray for Anna, that her heart will be prepared for us. That she is healthy and well cared for. 
Please pray for us during this busy time of getting things organized and ready
Please pray for good sleep  :)  
Please pray for our boys and any worries they may have 
Please pray for good health for us (and please if you or anyone in your family has the flu, do your best to stay away from us :)  ) 

Stay tuned!! 

We are coming soon Anna!!






2 comments:

  1. Lots of Prayers for Anna, you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, Michelle!!!! My heart is racing for you guys. We have been praying for you! The kids are very excited that the boys will now have a sister :o) We will continue to pray hard, that very soon, Anna may be with her new family. So exciting, nerve-wracking moments. (((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete